This Hangout took place on January 19th, 2017.
Scroll to the bottom of this page to watch embedded video of the Hangout.
The panel included:
Claire Simeone, Opiate Treatment Outpatient Program
Dr. Deborah Borne, San Francisco Department of Public Health / Homeless Outreach Team
Dr. Dominika Seidman, UCSF / Zuckerberg San Francisco General
Jennifer Sarchet, Planned Parenthood Northern California
Miranda Nordell, San Francisco Health Network / Ward 86
Shannon Weber, HIVE / PleasePrEPMe.org
Moderated by Yamini Oseguera-Bhatnagar, HIVE
Have feedback? Fill out our 3-minute feedback form to help Hangouts get better and better!
Here is a list of resources put together by the panelists for further information:
Tools from HIVE:
Guidelines relevant to People Who Inject Drugs
- Choopanya,K, Martin,M, Suntharasamai,P, et al. Antiretroviral prophylaxis for HIV infection in injecting drug users in Bangkok, Thailand (the Bangkok Tenofovir Study): a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled phase 3 trial. ?Lancet. ?2013; 381(9883), 2083-2090.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis for the Prevention of HIV Infection in the United States ? 2014: A Clinical Practice Guideline. U.S. Public Health Service, Department of Health and Human Services. 2015.
Implementation perspectives and research:
- Edelman EJ, Fiellan DA. ?Moving HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis into clinical settings: Lessons from buprenorphine. ?Am J Prev Med. 2013; 44(1S2): S86-S90.
- Escudero D, Kerr T, Wood E, et al. Acceptability of HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) among people who inject drugs (PWID) in a Canadian setting. ?AIDS Behav. 2015; 19(5): 752-757.
- Guise, A, Albers ER, Strathdee SA. ?PrEP is not ready for our community and our community is not ready for PrEP?: pre-exposure prophylaxis for HIV for people who inject drugs and limits to the HIV prevention response. ?Addiction. 2016; doi: 10.1111. Add.13437.
- Kuo I. Olsen H, Patrick R, et al. Willingness to use HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis among community-recruited, older people who inject drugs in Washington, DC. ?Drug Alc Dependence. 2016; 164:8-13.
- Spector AY, Remein RH, Tross S. PrEP in substance abuse treatment: A qualitative study of treatment provider perspectives. ?Subst Ab Treat, Prev and Pol. 2015; 10:1.
- Stein M, Thurmond P, Bailey G. ?Willingness to use HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis among opiate users. ?AIDS Behav. ?2014; 18(9): 1694-1700.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. HIV Infection, Risk, Prevention, and Testing Behaviors among Persons Who Inject Drugs?National HIV Behavioral Surveillance: Injection Drug Use, 20 U.S. Cities, 2012. HIV Surveillance Special Report 11. Revised edition. Published August 2015. Accessed 11.20.16
Have questions or want to get in contact with one of the campaigns that participated in this Hangout? Email Yamini at email@example.com