The Gender and Sexuality Awareness club at Lick Wilmerding High School (led by Samuel Berston, Eva Krukowski, and Audre Sorem Smikle) planned this vigil in order to raise public awareness about the epidemic of the murdering of transgender people, and to provide some emotional closure for us. About 30 students met at Powell Bart and marched down Market Street to the Ferry Building in San Francisco, holding signs reading things like, “Protect Trans Lives.” They also carried candles on which they wrote the names of transgender people who have lost their lives to murder and suicide.
Love HIVE? Sign up for our newsletter!
- San Francisco BIPOC Family Justice Report
- Large Bay Area blood bank still turning away gay, bisexual men who meet US rules
- Women Of Color Speak Out Against The Whitewashing Of Reproductive Justice
- I Can’t Focus on Abortion Access if My People Are Dying
- The Asian American Reply to Pandemic-Era Racism Must Be Cross-Racial Solidarity